Thursday, October 29 is National Cat Day. Founded in 2005, National Cat Day was created to bring attention to the number of cats that are in need of adoption. Estimates reveal that there are approximately 4 million cats entering shelters every year with 1-2 million being euthanized. Often cats are overlooked and under-appreciated because they don’t usually have jobs like dogs. But cats still lower blood pressure, offer unconditional love and companionship, tons of laughs and alert their owner to danger. Many cats have been named heroes.
It also serves as a day for cat lovers and cat owners to celebrate their cats and acknowledge the positive affect they have on our lives each and every day.
Here are some ways to show your love of cats:
1. Adopt a cat from your local shelter or cat rescue.
2. Make a commitment to your cat’s health.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to your local animal rescue group.
4. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to play with some cats available for adoption, clean cages and litter boxes or anything else they need help with.
5. Bake some cat shaped cookies for your kids, friends or office.
6. Spend the day taking photos of your cat and posting them on our Facebook page.
7. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by cleaning their cat’s litter box and playing with their cat.
8. Buy your cat a fun new toy….condo, bed or treats!
9. Give your cat some fun exercise by putting up some walls shelves specifically for him/her.
10. Make a window perch for your cat to lay in the sun.
11. Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs.
12. Give your cat a calming massage.
13. Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number, just in case they get outside and happen to become lost. Also, make sure your cat is microchipped.
14. Stop by our office and pick up a free bag of catnip.And knowing our cats, everyday should be National Cat Day!